Counter Strike: Source is a staple in the FPS genre. If you want to host your own counter strike: source dedicated server you need to go no further! This counter strike: source dedicated server can run both on Windows and Linux operating systems. For windows this test was done on Windows 8 64bit but should run the same on Windows server 2008/2012. For linux I tested this setup on Ubuntu 14.04 64bit server os.
- Download and Extract SteamCMD for Windows http://media.steampowered.com/installer/steamcmd.zip
- Double click the SteamCMD.exe program to start the update of SteamCMD
- You can now login as anonymous or with your steam account. I chose to login as anonymously.
- Now create a new folder in windows to hold your server files. I made it C:\CSSOURCESERVER.
- Back in the SteamCMD command window set steam to download to the created folder (C:\CSSOURCESERVER\)
- Now we can finally download the server files. Use the following command to start the download. The server files are 2.2GB
app_update 232330 validate
- You can now close SteamCMD and navigate to the C:\CSSOURCESERVER\ folder. You should see files loaded to it.
- To start your server open up command prompt (Start >CMD) and run the following command
srcds.exe -steam -console -game cstrike +map de_dust2 -maxplayers 16
- Now your server is running. You need to forward the following ports to your server from your router and make sure your firewall has them open
TCP/UDP 27016 (GamePort, I raise it from the default 27015 for the folks that run a server off the same comp as their client, they should run it bumpd up 1 port so it does not cause port conflicts..)) UDP 1200 (Friends Network) UDP 27000 to 27016 (<--raised to 27016 from 27015 to match the game and rcon port changes) UDP 27020 TCP 27030 to 27039 TCP: 27016 (SRCDS Rcon port, make sure it is properly set)
You can access the console to use RCON commands with the ~ key (next to the 1)
|hostname||The name of the server.|
|sv_password||Set server password. Leave blank to disable.|
|mp_friendlyfire <0/1>||Turn on/off friendly fire. Default: off|
|mp_footsteps <0/1>||Turn on/off footsteps. Default: on|
|mp_autoteambalance <0/1>||Force clients to auto-join the opposite team if they are not balanced. Default: on|
|mp_autokick <0/1>||Kick idle/team-killing players. Default: off|
|mp_flashlight <0/1>||Turn on/off the ability for clients to use flashlight. Default: off|
|mp_tkpunish <0/1>||Punish TK’ers on next round? Default: on|
|mp_forcecamera <0/1>||Force dead players to first person mode, effectively disabling freelook. Default: off|
|sv_alltalk <0/1>||Players can hear all other players, no team restrictions. Default: off|
|sv_pausable <0/1>||Can the server be paused Default: 0|
|sv_consistency <0/1>||Force cleints to pass consistency check for critical files before joining server? Default: 0|
|sv_cheats <0/1>||Allow cheats on server. Default: 0|
|sv_gravity <0/1>||World Gravity Default: 800|
|sv_maxvelocity||Maximum speed any ballistic object is allowed to attain per axis. Default: 3500|
|sv_unlag <0/1>||Enables player lag compensation. Default: 1|