Killing floor 2 is the second game in the series from tripwire. The dedicated server setup is very similar to the first edition and works for both windows and linux operating systems (Linux not available in Beta Release). As the game is in early release right now expect that the servers will need to be updated constantly and crashing may happen on occasion. Killing floor 2 dedicated servers are setup using the SteamCMD program so expect some command line action for the basic setup.
I rented a 2gb Windows VPS server from cheapwindowsvps.com for 17 bucks (code: SAVE15) to test this out on. I will be going over hardware requirements after testing is complete. I use Windows Server 2012 for my testing of Killing floor 2 Dedicated Server files.
Ports Used: Make sure to port forward from your router and allow through your firewall!
Steam Ports: 27015 and 20560
Killing Floor 2 Ports: 7777
Windows Killing Floor 2 Dedicated Server Setup
For a clean install of Server 2012 I needed to install DirectX runtime and C++ packages. You can download and install it directly from microsoft
- Download the SteamCMD Update Tool: http://media.steampowered.com/installer/steamcmd.zip
- Extract the Zip folder to another directory (c:\steam)
- After extracting is complete open a Command Prompt Window
- Type “cmd”
- Select cmd.exe
- Navigate to the folder where you extracted SteamCMD too.
- Launch SteamCMD
You must own Killing Floor 2 in order to Download the Killing floor 2 Dedicated Server Setup files. Make sure to use an account that has KF2. This has been changed
- NOTE: If you have SteamGuard You will need to verify the account with SteamCMD. It will prompt you for this. The SteamGuard code should be in your email
- Set the Path to for the killing floor 2 dedicated server files to go to
- NOTE: You can set this to wherever you want. Just make sure the folder is already made and you have all full permissions to it
- Download or Update your Killing Floor 2 Dedicated Server
app_update 232130 validate
- NOTE: You can remove the validate part for updating your server
- Start your server
start c:\KF2Server\Binaries\win64\kfserver kf-bioticslab
- NOTE: This is the default server startup. Check the Advance configuration TAB for more options.
The KF2 beta is limited right now.
Killing Floor 2 Dedicated servers have optional setup procedures.
Inside the extracted folder you will see the \KFGame\Config\PCServer-KFGame.ini
Open this with a standard Text Editor (notepad++)
What can be edited
AdminPassword – This is the password for admin access
GamePassword – Set this if you want to have a password to connect to the game
ServerName – Set this if you want to have a non default name for your server
AdminContact – Add contact information (email/names) for players to contact the admins if needed
Webadmin allows for easier management of your server. If you are not a command line wizard I recommend trying it out.
Open the KFweb.ini
Confirm line: bEnabled=true
Change if you do not want default settings
Navigate to the IP of your machine plus :8080 with your favorite web browser
Log in with your normal access credentials that you set in the above .ini file.
Videos are coming soon.