Unturned is a free to play multiplayer survival game and anyone can host an Unturned dedicated server very easily on both Windows and Linux platforms. Linux does require the use of Wine to emulate windows (I know, wine is not an emulator) but it does seem to run pretty stable for the current version.
Default: TCP/UDP 25444
If you change the port in the configuration you will need to allow it on your firewall as well.
Windows setup is very easy.
- Open the steam browser and download Unturned
- After download Right click on unturned and select “Properties”
- Select the “Local Files” tab
- Click Browse Local Files
This should open up a windows explorer box and you should see unturned.exe
- Copy the folder location
- Open a windows explorer window and paste the copy location
- Right click on an empty space and Create new Text document
- Open the document with notepad
- Paste the following code “Unturned.exe -port:25444 -players:16 -batchmode -nographics -pei -normal -nosync -pvp -sv” without quotes
- Save the file as dedistart.bat
Thats it you should see a new file in the directory called dedistart.bat.
Double clicking dedistart.bat will start a 16 player server thats pve based. There are many options that you can try out so checkout the config tab for more on that.
If you do not have a public IP address on the server you will need to port forward the port specified in the config and allow it through windows firewall.
**Tested using Ubuntu 14.04 64bit Server**
Step 1: Install Prereqs
- sudo apt-get install wine xinit
- sudo dpkg-reconfigure x11-common
Step 2: Install steamcmd and download Unturned dedicated server files
- cd /
- sudo mkdir steamcmd
- sudo mkdir unturned
- cd steamcmd
- wget http://media.steampowered.com/installer/steamcmd.zip
- unzip steamcmd.zip
- wine steamcmd.exe
- login username password
- force_install_dir ../unturned
- app_update 304930 validate
The software will start downloading and depending on your internet connection it can take awhile. Once the download is done just type “quit” to exit the steamcmd window.
Step 4: Start the server
- Move to another Shell (CTRL+B, C)
- export DISPLAY=:0.0
- cd /unturned
- wine unturned.exe -nographics -pei -normal -nosync -pve -players:16 -sv
That will start a basic 16 player server for a PVE environment. Check the config Tab for more details on on configuration.
- -bambi (easy difficulty)
- -normal (normal difficulty)
- -hardcore (Hard difficulty)
- -gold (Doubles amount of loot spawning and XP gain compared to normal mode)
Sync Setting: (for syncing multiple servers so items stay when you move)
- -nosync (standard)
- -port:[PORT NUMBER]
- -players:[PLAYER MAX]
- -nographics (This command is needed to not see the welcome screen. Instead you see a black screen with no GUI.)
- -sv (needs to be at the end of the parameters)
- -batchmode (prevents the game from launching a GUI, and makes it run as a background process. Greatly reduces CPU usage)